August 7, 2011

Belgian Waffles

Every weekend, I like to make big breakfasts. I guess it's to make up to some boring weekday ones. My family likes pancakes but I always wanted to try in making Belgian Waffles. I got a neat double Belgian Waffle maker for my birthday (Thanks mommy for my monetary gift! lol)  I went and got a waffle box mix since I wanted to try that baby right away. (I hear booing and gasps coming from my readers and rightly so!)  O.M.G! Those were the driest and tasteless waffles ever! Everyone said they were ok but I do have a palate. lol

Off to webland for a great recipe of what a waffle should taste like and I found it! Thank you Allrecipes! Now these do take some time since they are yeast base but they are worth it. Trust me.  Here's the recipe from Allrecipes.com. It makes 8 big waffles but I usually make 4 or 5 then put the batter in the fridge for the next day.

Belgian Waffles
Ingredients

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3 egg yolks
2 3/4 cups warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled to lukewarm
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
3 egg whites


Directions


1.In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm milk. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.

2.In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of the warm milk and the melted butter. Stir in the yeast mixture, sugar, salt and vanilla. Stir in the remaining 2 1/2 cups milk alternately with the flour, ending with the flour. Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks; fold into the batter. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
3.Preheat the waffle iron. Brush with oil and spoon about 1/2 cup (or as recommended by manufacturer) onto center of iron. Close the lid and bake until it stops steaming and the waffle is golden brown. Serve immediately or keep warm in 200 degree oven.
Top them with syrup, fresh fruit and you have a great breakfast! I also made some banana smoothies just to make the meal complete. Try it. They smell and taste wonderful!

Bon Appetit!

0 comments:

 

Montrealaise en Californie | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates