July 10, 2008

Confiture de fraise

Today was a good day. Painted my gate, did some computer work and made strawberry freezer jam. This was my first time in making jam. I wish I could tell you if it tasted good. That will have to wait for tomorrow since the jam needs to set for 24 hours. It was fun to make and not that hard. So how do you make it you ask? Well let me tell you....
...first get 2 cups of stemmed, quarted and mashed strawberries. I haven't mashed them yet in this picture.

Photobucket


Next, get 4 cups of sugar. Put those eyeballs back in their sockets! Yes, I did say 4 cups of sugar. I actually wanted to put 3 but even in the recipe pamphlet, it says you will fail by putting less sugar. LOL I don't know. Maybe next time I'll try less and see what happens.
Now mix the mashed strawberries with the sugar. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
Start boiling water to sterilize all your jars and lids. I got these at my local Safeway. I felt funny boiling them but they need to be squeaky clean so no spoilage will happen afterwards. Dry them off and have them line up for
filling.

Photobucket

Now empty out one packet of pectin into a saucepan and pour 3/4 cups of water. Set it on high and keep stirring to dissolve everything. Once it boils, turn off the heat. Pour pectin mixture into the strawberry/sugar mixture and stir until everything is well mixed.
Pour the mixture into the little jars. Leave 1/2" of space. Close jars with lids. Let them stand at room temperature for 24 hours. It says you can freeze them for 1 year or leave them in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. I know we'll be trying a jar tomorrow night and put the rest in the freezer. Man, I hope it's not too sweet!

Photobucket


Bon Appetit!

0 comments:

 

Montrealaise en Californie | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates