August 17, 2008

Recette de la semaine

Kids driving you crazy during the day and you don't know what to feed them at dinner time? Have no fear, Taco Soup to the rescue! I started making this soup maybe 2 years ago and my family loves it. It's pretty much like my favorite story as a child, Stone Soup, where you can add any ingredients that your family likes and it'll taste good. Get your pot and knives ready people! We're cooking tonight!

Here's the ingredients.

1.5-2 lbs of Lean Ground Beef (or whatever meat you prefer)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 packet of ranch dressing
1 can of Rotel original (if you don't want spicy, use regular diced tomatoes)
1 can of corn kernels with liquid
1 can of red kidney beans (can use pinto if you like), drained and rinsed
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can full of water (depending how thick the soup is, you might need more or less
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Okay! Now the pictures is from a recipe that I was doubling. Some of it was for my friend tonight. Get your soup pot and pour about 3 turns of extra virgin olive oil. Add the chopped onions and saute them until translucent on medium heat. Don't burn them. Lower the heat if you see it will. Every stove is different.

Photobucket


Once done, add your ground meat. Brown the meat.

Photobucket


You will see there's a lot of fat. Please drain most of that fat. I want my readers to live and not die from a heart attack!

Photobucket


See all of this? Came from 3.5lbs of meat. Hey! I like some fat. I do! I even carry some extra on my hips!

Photobucket


Ahhh much better!

Photobucket


Now add one packet of taco seasoning and one of ranch dressing. Mix well.


Photobucket


Add the tomatoes, corn and beans.

Photobucket


Add one can of water. Ooh! Here's a hand shot. Think I have a shot in being a hand model? Don't answer!

Photobucket


Now stir and let it simmer for about 25-30 minutes.

Photobucket

Photobucket


And voila! Taco soup! Now let me put some cheese, sour cream and a tortilla chip. Hmmm, oh well! More cheese!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now that's looks better!

Photobucket


This is how my kids love to personalize their bowls. I have shredded cheddar, sour cream and tortilla chips for them. You can use whatever cheese you like and maybe even add some fresh salsa to it. Like I said, this is similar to the Stone Soup. Add whatever ingredients you and your family likes. This also freezes well so you can make a big batch and freeze half for those days you don't have time to cook.

Bon Appetit!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG YUM! WANT! I'm so making this.

 

Montrealaise en Californie | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates