June 30, 2009

Papardelle in a tomato cream sauce.

I finally did it! I've been trying to recreate a tomato sauce that I tasted as a child. My dad and I loved it. My mom does not make Italian dishes nor tomato sauces. When I got married, I would try to recreate it off and on. My sauces were ok but NEVER like the one I tasted years ago. Well last night I cracked the code! lol Turns out that sauce was a creamy sauce and not regular tomato sauce. I can't wait to make this for my dad and see his reaction. Will he remember it too? Anyway, I finally did it and hubby loves it. Woohoo!

Papardelle in a tomato cream sauce.

1 lb Papardelle (linguine or spaghetti will work as well)
1 14.5oz Whole tomatoes, hand crushed
1 small Onions, finely chopped(tip #1)
1 1/2 tbsp Minced garlic
1 cup Tomato sauce
2 tbsp Tomato paste
1/2 cup Heavy cream (tip #2)
1+ cup Pasta water
1/2 cup Freshly grated Parmesan (tip #3)
1/2 cup Fresh basil leaves, chopped (tip #4)
1 sprig Fresh oregano, chopped (tip #5)
Olive oil
Kosher salt & pepper

Get a stockpot and boil water for the pasta. Season the water with some salt. Cook pasta.

Meanwhile, get a large saucepan over medium heat and pour some olive oil. Huh, I made a face. Kinda scary, non?

Photobucket

Now add the finely chopped. See smaller bits is better. Add garlic and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Do not burn the garlic or it'll get bitter.

Photobucket

Now add the fresh herbs and tomatoes. Let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes. If you use tomatoes from a can, you need to cook the "metal taste" out. I discovered this trick for using canned tomatoes.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The sauce should be reduced at that point. Now add the cream and simmer for about 5 minutes.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now add the pasta and pasta water. Coat the pasta with the sauce. The sauce will be thick. If it too thick, add a bit more pasta water. Now season with salt and pepper per taste. Add the Parmesan on top, some fresh basil and serve.

Photobucket

Your family will love it. Mine did. Now it's important to note that you should use good parmesan cheese. Please do not use the Kaft cheese from a container. I do have one when the kids want some of their spaghetti and I don't have a fresh wedge of parmesan cheese in hand. Real cheese makes a HUGE difference. Believe me.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Bon Appetit!

5 comments:

Naturally Jules said...

Looks devine! Don't you love it when you crack the "recipe" code! Good for you!

dragonflydreamer said...

It really does look delicious! I love how you post step-by-step photos for those of us visual people, thanks. Your family eats very well with such a great cook in the home.

Domestic Goddess..Diva sometimes said...

Thanks ladies. :)

DD, I'm also a visual person. When I started cooking and it had no photos of what the dish will look like, it made it hard for me. Now I don't need photos but for first timers or just visual people, it helps and makes cooking less scary. ;)

undercover caterer said...

YUM!

Célia Novais Rosado said...

Parece delicioso!!!

Tenho de testar esta receita. Talvez agora, durante as férias...

Beijinhos.

 

Montrealaise en Californie | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates