March 6, 2010

Cheater, cheater!

I was bored on Thursday and decided it was the perfect time to try out those quick versions of donuts. You probably have seen them in blogyland. My kids like donuts so why not try them out?

All you need is a can of biscuits, vegetable oil, some powdered sugar and milk.

Pop the can open and lay your biscuits out. Use a small cookie cutter (around the size of a quarter) and cut out the hole. Keep those holes for making munchkins (donut holes).
Photobucket


In a heavy skillet or dutch oven, pour about an inch of vegetable oil. Heat the oil up to around 330. I don't have a thermometer so I did what my mom does.  After about 4-5 minutes, I drop one donut hole and if it starts to sizzle, it's ready. If it pops, it's too hot and lower the temp a bit.

Photobucket


Drop 3-4 donuts at a time depending on the size of your skillet or dutch oven. Cook one side for about 45-60 seconds and the second for about 40-50 seconds. They should have a light golden color. Once a donut is ready, use a slotted spoon and place the donut on a paper towel. Let them rest for about 5 minutes.
Photobucket

If you want some icing on the, use some powdered sugar and a few tbsp of milk. Mix well until it's to you desired thickness. I don't want a thick icing on my "donuts" so it had a nice glaze to it. Just enough of sweetness.

Place the warm donuts on a cookie rack and pour some of the icing on them. Let the glaze set a bit.
Photobucket

The end result? It doesn't really taste like a normal donut but the kids didn't know the difference. They were shocked that  made donuts. lol I better keep a biscuit can from now on in case they ask for donuts.
Photobucket


Photobucket

Bon Appetit!

5 comments:

Wanda said...

Clever girl. They look good!
:)

BAILEY said...

Oh goodness...ok...I just started a no carb diet and this REALLY makes me want to break it. They look delicious.

I also gave you a blog award! Check it out if you want.

http://doehlerdays.blogspot.com/2010/03/i-feal-honored.html

Tracy said...

Yum. They do look good! I would love to try that some time with my kiddos! Thanks for the idea. Have a great day!

Bar-b said...

wow, I have a coffee in my hand that is yearning to be with those donuts.

I'll try them out(no I won't).

xoxox,
barbie

CDC said...

oooh i want some now! way to use what you have:)

 

Montrealaise en Californie | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates